Monday 29 July 2013

Interpretations


What Happened?

I had a joint session with a Somali interpreter and a patient who had aphasia. I wanted to see if the patient could participate in a discussion around their discharge destination/ care needs. The patient had severe aphasia in both languages. I asked the interpreter questions I had prepared beforehand and asked her to interpret the patients responses. The patient stated 'home' when asked about discharge destination showing some comprehension by also asking 'when'. I rephrased questions for the interpreter and the patient did not appear to understand any more complex decisions/ concepts e.g. care needs. The interpreter had told me that she thought the patient understood the questions.

How did it make you feel?

  • I felt that i could have prepared some picture resources to use alongside the interpreter.
  • I felt that it was helpful to have pre-prepared questions to ask.
  • I felt that i should not have asked the interpreter if she felt the patient understood the questions and should be clearer about asking the interpreter to translate everything word for word.

What will you do next time?

  • Prepare written information to support the interpreter and prepare picture resources.
  • Re-phrase questions/ information to really check the patients comprehension.
  • Ask the interpreter to interpret word for word.

No comments:

Post a Comment