Sunday 20 October 2013

Dysfluency - reflection

Think of a recent therapy session.

First two appointments with an 80 year old actress who's stutter had recently deteriorated.

Describe the experience

I had never worked on dysfluency with a patient. I asked the patient for a history of her dysfluency and a medical hstory. She had a diagnosis of Parkinson's but had had a stutter as a child and her dysfluency appeared to be due to a stutter rather than a dysarthria. I used the 'Overall assessment of the speaker's experience of stuttering' (OASES) to get a baseline for therapy. This assessment involved getting information on the patient's reactions to their stuttering, communication in daily situations and quality of life. I haden't quite been prepared enough for the way the questionnaire elicited personnal/ emotional reflections/ information.

How did this make you feel?

I felt empathetic torwards the patient and felt that it was the first time i had truely considered the emotional impact of having a stutter. I made a conscious effort to listen to the patient's experiences.

What would you change and why?

I would revise my counselling training materials and really consider how i could incorporate these skills into a therapy assessment session.



No comments:

Post a Comment