Monday 8 April 2013

Home Visit




I recently had a home visit with a patient, here are the key aspects of communication/ swallowing that i was looking to assess/ provide support for:


  1. Swallowing Safety - I prepared a poster with eating/ drinking guidelines for the patient (go slow, small sips/mouthfuls and no thickener/ chest infections) and a laminated information poster on what foods are soft/ easier to eat. The social worker/ the patients family organised mealtime supervision.
  2. Emergency Communication - With the OT I ensured that the patient had a pendant alarm they could use in an emergency.
  3. Information for carers - I created a carer information pack on the patients communication difficulties, including information about their stroke and the best way to communicate with them.
  4. Comprehension - I checked if the patient was able to show me around their house/ understand questions/ instructions given by the OT.

No comments:

Post a Comment