Tuesday 30 April 2013

Reflective log - counselling


Reflective Log 20.04.13 – Counselling

1. Think of a recent therapy session or event.
I had a session with a young patient (48 years old) who had just heard the news that she had primary progressive multiple sclerosis as well as having had a basal ganglia stroke.

2. Describe the session/experience
I had a plan of activities to do with the patient and had heard that the day before they had been informed of their new diagnosis. I did not change my session plan. The patient was very tearful and wanted to talk about her new diagnosis rather than have a normal session.

3. What did this session make you feel?
I felt concerned that the patient was so upset and I felt out of control, as if nothing I could say would make her feel better. I made sure I did not patronise the patient or sympathise with them. I made attempts to empathise with the patient but felt that these were clumsy. The patient cried for a while and then talked about her future and asked me questions about her diagnosis.

4. What has this session has taught you?
 - I should consider a patients mood before making a session plan.
 - I can change my session plans if needed and I am able to consider the clients feelings.

5. What are you going to do before your next session?
- re-familiarise myself with information form a counselling training day I went on.




No comments:

Post a Comment